OUGD405 - Postcard Research

Triangles

I initially chose to look at triangles in general, as this was my given shape.  

Triangles and Architecture: 

Here I have looked at where triangles can appear in architecture, through purpose and through simply the angle that the image was taken:

Triangles and Stairs: 



Triangles and Ceilings:


Triangles as Tessellations:

(This is when the triangle is used in a pattern with no overlay or gaps. The triangle is one of the most common tessellations.)




I was most inspired by this image, where triangles are created using shadow:


It reminded me of work by James Turrell, an American Fine Artist, whose work is most concerned with light and space. 


James Turrell

Skyspace

These are all part of a series of installations, involving a ceiling where space has been taken away to reveal the sky behind it. 




I love the contrast that's achieved, and I like how the result is always different. No sky is ever the same, and if you were to look up through the shapes each day, the results would always differ.  If it were an overcast day, the sky would installation would react in a uninteresting, plane way. If it was the middle of the summer, the sky would create a huge contrast against it's ceiling backdrop. When the sun is out, shapes of light are cast inside the structure, with the position changing throughout the day. 

Turrell's work has influenced me to photograph triangles that exist because of light. After all, Turrell's work would not be so interesting if the backdrop lacked light. 

Other work by James Turrell that I find influential:


Olafur Eliasson

Olafur similarly explores light and it's impact through shapes, through the use of installations. Obviously I am not creating an installation, just observing what I can see within the college, but I intend to capture triangles caused by light.



These next two images are by far my favourite, and to me, feel the most influential. I do enjoy the refraction of colour with light, but I intend to work entirely in black and white, so I am focussing on light that consists of every colour, and inversely, the lack of entirety of colour, this being shadow. 










Wednesday 30 January 2013
Categories: , , , | Comments Off